5 Reasons for a Leaky Air Conditioner & How to Fix It
In summer, when the air conditioner is turned on for a while, the indoor unit will leak water drop by drop, and the water will flow continuously, but it also seriously affects the use of the home, and it will endanger the walls, floors, and furniture under the air conditioner.
Water leakage in the air-conditioning room is a common failure phenomenon. But it is this “small” fault that really makes the repairer a headache, and also makes the user a big headache. According to relevant survey data, in addition to the fact that the air conditioner does not heat or cool, the complaint rate of air conditioner water leakage is also very high, and in daily use, the water leakage phenomenon seriously affects the normal use of users. Canada Energy Solution air-conditioning cleaning and repairing company will explain the reason for air-conditioning leakage here.
Let’s first understand how the air conditioner works
The air conditioner compressor compresses the refrigerant, expands it through the valve to release heat, and the temperature of the refrigerant decreases. Then the refrigerant flows into the indoor evaporator, absorbs the heat of the indoor air through the contact between the evaporator and the indoor air, compresses it, and expands again so that it reciprocates and takes away the heat of the indoor air little by little. The water vapor in the air will turn into water when it encounters a very low-temperature evaporator, which explains the reason for the dripping of the air conditioner.
Causes of dripping air conditioner
In fact, air-conditioning leaks may be caused by many aspects, which can be summarized as follows:
Water leakage in the hang-up room
- Reasons for the installation of the air conditioner, including the uneven indoor unit, the excessively high outlet pipe that extends outside, the blockage of the outlet pipe (more common in air conditioners that have been used for a long time), and the break of the outlet pipe (more common in the lead out of the indoor fuselage) Wait.
- The air conditioner lacks fluoride. This situation will cause water to drip down along the connecting pipes in the indoor part (even if you are bandaged well).
- The air conditioner filter is too dirty. Indoor water vapor condenses on the filter and cannot enter the sink. It will only drip from the outside of the indoor unit.
- The quality of the air conditioner itself, including broken sink, loose or falling off of the nozzle of the sink, and improper installation of the sink, etc.
- Quality problems of drainage pipes. Some drainage pipes are of poor quality and are prone to aging and slack, causing the pipe to bend in shape and causing poor drainage.
- Condensation water on the piping. Because the quality of the insulation material on the pipe is too poor or too thin, when the refrigerant in the pipe passes through, condensation water is likely to appear.
- The outdoor drainage pipe is blocked. If the outdoor drainage pipe is blocked, the water can not be drained out, resulting in spillage.
- The reason for the switch. The dirty material of the filter is seriously not cleaned in time or the filter is damaged, which causes the evaporator to deform and cannot drip into the tank in time; insufficient freon in the air-conditioning system causes the indoor unit evaporator to freeze, and water droplets cannot be dripped into the water-saving pan; The material of the air conditioner is not very good, the internal setting is unreasonable, the water cannot flow into the sink, and it stays along with the plastic shell.
Outdoor heat exchanger dripping:
- The heat exchanger is full of dust and the temperature of the heat exchange is uneven, and water droplets are generated in the middle of the heat exchanger, and the water droplets that fall outside the water tray will drip into the room.
- Insufficient refrigerant in the air-conditioning system causes the indoor unit to freeze, and the water droplets formed by the melting of the ice do not directly drip into the drain pan.
When there is water leakage in the indoor unit, you can perform a self-check based on the above situations. If you can handle it yourself, it is better. If you can’t solve it by yourself, you should ask professional and technical personnel to come and deal with it in time.
What to do if the air conditioner leaks
Sometimes the air conditioner leaks can be solved directly, and some people still need to find a dedicated maintenance person to repair them. First of all, you can perform a self-inspection based on some of the above situations. If the drainpipe is broken, the installation is not in place, or the exchanger is a problem, you need a dedicated person to repair it. Of course, there are some situations that can be handled by yourself.
If the water leakage is caused by the poor supporting plastic outside the water pipe, you can install an outer cover yourself to prevent the water from flowing down. Of course, adding a water baffle is also a method; if the water pipe is not draining smoothly, you can also find a way to remove it. Dredge, check the outdoor drainage pipes. If the cause is outdoor, it will be easier to solve. Generally speaking, for laymen, the dripping of the air conditioner can only do a little work on the pipes, and the rest can only be handed over to the maintenance personnel.